Final project

In addition to the second project proposal, I have examined the key issues existing in the current wearable technology. I found that big companies such as Fitbit has set some sorts of rules despite no regulation or policies the government has set for wearable devices. Here is the commitment from Fitbit's R&D team:
“Consumer-facing entities that collect health data about individuals must consider privacy and security in all aspects of development and deployment of their products. R&D is not just to create revenue or test boundaries, but also to establish a company’s reputation as both an innovator and trusted institution.” (Insights from Fitbit’s R&D Team)
Using data to develop a better product is the key to Fitbit's. Fitbit has different policies for data protection based on the projects. For hack project, Fitbit will normally finish them in less than twelve hours with users' data compared with two to three years in a real project. After the goal of the data use is set, depending on different types of studies, researchers would have access to data to different extent. In the pilot studies, data mostly consists of the researchers own information. Therefore, the data is not anonymized and one of the researchers could view it. On other hand, the data is highly sensitive in the user studies, thus, even the lead researchers would not have access to it easily.
It is certainly not much we can do to protect our privacy except put in trust to the wearable brands we choose. In the modern world, everything or everyone can be googled because we are relying so heavily on the internet. In my opinion, if people are using privacy data in a meaningful way, I would not oppose them to use my data, however, I would be careful what I post or say on the social media.

Comments

  1. Hey Linjie,

    Great post, I had no idea that Fitbit was setting their own regulations where they didn't need to. It's incredible that companies like Fitbit and Apple are so focused on consumer health privacy, when so many other companies (Google, Amazon) are ready to sell off that data and use it for personal gain. Fitbit could sell their data easily and probably be more profitable because of it, but choose the moral and ethical high ground.

    I would love to know if there was anything specific that prompted this change, maybe an interview with the CEO explaining his decisions. Further, I'd like to know exactly how Fitbit handles data, and maybe what encryptions or data storage methods they use (if that information is publicly available).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to the paper, and here is a link to the privacy debate held at the Fox in the Fall of 2016. They discuss the paper and other privacy concerns.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure tthe following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Whooping cough 16. Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 .. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cell-Phone Medicine Brings Care To Patients in Developing Nations

Summary of proposal